- Thirlmere Trainworks 2016
- Parramatta, NSW. Riding the Rails of Yesteryear
- Trawling for Scones in the Wake of the Southern Aurora.
- 2014 New Years Escape: Coming Full Circle.
- Wallabadah, NSW. Racing Headlong into the New Year
- Upper Hunter Valley, NSW. Cruising aboard the Southern Aurora
- Taree, NSW. A Voice in the Wilderness
- Tower of London, England. Tales of Treasure, Murder & Mayhem ****4stars
- St Paul’s Cathedral, London. Simply Stunning *****5 stars.
- The Dawn of Sconeology
- Canberra, ACT. Turner from the Tate.
- Mt Tongariro, N.Z. The Joys of Rocks, Rubble & the Rest *****5 stars
- Mt Tongariro, N.Z. Rising to the Challenge *****5 stars.
- Mt Tongariro, N.Z. Sharing Life’s Joys and Challenges****5 stars
- Mt Ruapehu, N.Z. Enjoying the Silica Rapids Walk****4 stars
- Mt Ruapehu, N.Z. Patience Duly Rewarded ****4stars.
- Tongariro, Mt Ruapehu, N.Z. Patience Rewarded****4 stars
- Auckland-National Park, NZ. Train Spirals on Kiwi Rail’s Northern Explorer ****4stars
- Sydney Harbour, NSW. All Aboard ‘HMB Endeavour’ ****4 stars
- North Island, New Zealand. Assorted Scone Adventures 2013.
- Alice Springs
- Ayers Rock
- Blue Mountains
- Cairns-Port Douglas
- Central Australia
- DIY Tea
- Fraser island
- High Tea
- Hunter Valley
- Jervis Bay
- Kata Tjuta
- Kings Canyon
- National Parks
- New England
- New South Wales
- New Zealand
- North Island
- Simpsons Gap
- South Australia
- South Island
- Southern Highlands
- Standley Chasm
- The Olgas
- Tongariro National Park
- Top End
- Train Trips
Tag Archives: train
Day 1: On Being without Barrington Tops or Scones but with Fireworks Travelling with Heritage Express on the Southern Aurora, a 50 year old inter-city express passenger train. The itinerary says: Explore the Barrington Wilderness from the Hunter World Heritage … Continue reading
It’s New Year’s Eve and it’s hot in Dungog. Last night I boarded the Southern Aurora at Sydney’s Central Station. For me this was not my first sleeper but it was my first trip on the Southern Aurora which is … Continue reading
GREETINGS FROM NEW ZEALAND (AGAIN)! Just returned from the North Island of New Zealand and an assortment of scone adventures. Flew into Auckland and travelled on the new Northern Explorer Train to Tongariro National Park, then returned on the train back … Continue reading
New Horizons Why not walk all day and have a water taxi take your bags and drop them off at your overnight stop for you? The Abel Tasman Track is an ideal alternative to lugging your stuff for miles … Continue reading
Fraser Island -Hervey Bay -Maryborough & Tilt Train to Brisbane -Express to Nerang -Gold Coast, Qld. 9 hrs & 375km.
A Very Long Way for a Coffee and No Scones! 7.50 am. Ferry from Fraser Island to Hervey Bay. 8.40 am. Bus from River Heads, Hervey Bay to Pialba, Hervey Bay. 9.50 am. Bus Pialba, Hervey Bay to Maryborough West … Continue reading
Airlie Beach-Proserpine-Hervey Bay-Frazer Island, Queensland. 837kms. Sleeping First Class on the Sunlander.
Initiation into Overnight Sleepers My goodness, it’s dark on the top bunk of a sleeper as you hurtle through the night. 9.30pm. Boarding the Sunlander at Proserpine means the seat is gone and there’s bunk beds instead. Bad luck if … Continue reading
Quiet, comfortable and enjoyable travelling on the Tilt Train and much faster than the Sunlander. The omnipresent sugar cane is never far away and the mountains follow our journey south. Somehow, I managed to travel in between meal times. Dining was … Continue reading
Townsville turned out to be the ‘capital’ of Northern Queensland and is half way between Cape York and Brisbane. As the train came into Townsville, it was surprising to see how large it was and how long it took to … Continue reading
All aboard the Sunlander for Townsville & Beyond. Up early again for breakfast & the beginning of my railway adventure. Queensland Rail has two trains that run from Cairns to Brisbane. The Sunlander is a traditional train with seats, overnight … Continue reading
Bygone Train Trips and Stony Creek Falls Took the Kuranda Scenic Railway for a wonderful ride on the old bench seats in the vintage carriages, plenty of room today! Found yet another Rail Australia site which informs us Route: Cairns – Kuranda Duration: 90 minutes Distance: 34 … Continue reading